Today we learned about this year’s U.S. team.
Read: page 42-45 in Olympics by Dennis B. Fradin and explore the Team USA Home.
Discuss: Team USA Facts
Youngest: Katie Ledecky, 15, swimming
Oldest: Karen O’Connor, 54, equestrian
Five-time Olympians: 7
Four-time Olympians: 21
- What does USA stand for? United States of America
- What does the USA flag look like? Blue square with 50 white stars in the top left and 13 red and white stripes.
United States Flag Waffles
- Strawberry slices
- Banana slices
- Add a blueberries into the top 4 left waffle holes.
- Add strawberry slices to the rest of the top row and every other row after that.
- Add banana slices to the rest of the second row and every other row after that.
- Losing with dignity
- Winning without breaking the rules
- Accepting praise with humility
- Complimenting the play of teammates as well as members of the competitor team
- Accepting the judgment of the game referees
- Taking direction well from coaches
- Shaking hands with the opponent
- Respecting the spectators
- Act out good sportsmanship for the following scenarios…
- Your team just lost a baseball game. Your friend, Chase, is on the winning team. He comes over to talk to you. What do you do?
- Your team just won a soccer game. Your friend, Molly, is on the losing team. She comes over to talk to you. What do you do?
- You’re playing a board game with your little brother. Your mom calls you into the kitchen for a minute. When you return, you notice that your brother has moved his game piece to a much better position than where it was when you left. What do you do?
- You go to your friend Lucy’s house after school a lot. Lucy likes playing basketball in her driveway. When you play, she always brags about how good she is and she keeps track of how many baskets you miss. What do you do?
- You’re really good at basketball and score lots of points for your team. A new kid, Karin, just joined the team. She’s never played basketball before and she isn’t too good yet. The coach asks you to sit out at the end of the game so Karin can have a turn. What do you do?
- Your team just lost the last soccer game of the season. What would a good sport do?
- Balance Beam (2×4 on cinder blocks)
- Noodle Throw (throw a noodle into a hoola hoop)
- Ball Toss (throw a ball through a hoola hoop)
- Disc Throw (tape two together frisbee toss)
- Balloon between the knees race
- 100 yard dash
- Backwards dash
- Water balloon on a spoon race
- High jump
- Long jump
Summer Olympics Unit Study