Today we tried using light in our paintings like Rembrandt. This is our last day of our Renaissance Artists unit study and we have had so much fun with all this art.
- Rembrandt by Mike Venezia
- Rembrandt by Melody S. Mis
Discuss: Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn (1606-1669) was a Dutch Renaissance painter from Holland. He painted portraits and religious scenes mostly. He discovered how to paint with light shining on a persons face while shadowing one side of the face.
Artist Journal: Print out a work of art for the artist and glue it in the book. Write the title of the work of art and the name of the artist. Write the years of the artist’s life and what type of art he did. Rembrandt painted several self portraits during his life. Ask the child to draw a self portrait in his journal.
Paint the Light
Discuss: Rembrandt painted portraits of people while light was shining on them. Making one side of the face in the light and one side in the shadows. Try placing a lamp to one side of the models head and paint the model with the light on one side and the shadows on the other side.
- Place the lamp to one side of the models head.
- Notice the light shining on that side of their face and the shadows on the other side.
- With a pencil sketch the outline of the model.
- Next paint the sketch making the light side brighter and the shadow side darker.
Renaissance Artists Unit Study