Squanto & The Wampanoag
Today we learned about the Indians that lived in the area where the Pilgrims decided to settle.
- Squanto 1585?-1622 by Arlene B. Hirschfelder
- Stories of the Pilgrims by Margaret B. Pumphrey pgs. 135-150.
- A Beka Our America (pg. 84-91)
Discuss: When spring came the Pilgrims met and Indian named Samoset and later Squanto. They became good friends with him. Squanto’s tribe died in sickness so he decided to live with the Pilgrims to help them. The Pilgrims had never seen corn before, the Indians called it maize. Squanto showed the Pilgrims how to plant the corn seeds with fish to fertilize the seeds. After the corn grew he showed the Pilgrims some ways to eat it; popcorn, cornmeal, roasting ears, and more. Squanto helped the Pilgrims make peace with Chief Massasoit and the Wampanoag Indians that lived in the area and they became friends. The Wampanoag Indians hunted, fished and farmed for food and their homes were dome huts called wetus.
- What was the name of the special Indian friend of the Pilgrims? Squanto
- How did Squanto plant corn seeds? With a fish next to the seed.
- What do Indians call corn? Maize
- What are some of the things that we get from corn? Popcorn, cornmeal, corn ears
- What is the name of the Indian tribe that the Pilgrims made friends with? Wampanoag
- How did the Wampanoag Indians get their food? Farming, fishing and hunting
- What kind of homes did the Wampanoag live in? Dome huts called a wetu
I used page 47 in Pilgrims Theme Unit by Susan Moger to learn a bit about the Wampanoags money wampum.
Squanto Plants Corn
- Popcorn kernels
- Goldfish crackers
- Printing paper
- Draw a picture of Squanto and a Pilgrim on one side of you paper.
- Draw 4 or 5 corn stocks growing out of the ground with a brown hump of dirt at the bottom.
- Glue on a few corn kernels and a goldfish under each hump.
Indian Canoe Drawing
We used pages 58-59 in Draw. Write. Now. Book 3 by Marie Hablitzel and Kim Stitzer to draw an Indian in a canoe.
Planting Corn Snack
Discuss: Squanto taught the Pilgrims how to plant corn seeds with fish for fertilizer.
- Chocolate Pudding
- Crushed Oreos
- Candy Corn
- Gummy Fish (like Sweedish fish)
- Clear plastic cup
- Place the pudding and oreos pieces into the cup for the soil.
- Plant the candy corn for the corn seeds.
- Add the gummy fish for the fertilizer.
- Add more soil for the top.
I’ll Trade You
I used page 48-49 in Pilgrims Theme Unit by Susan Moger to teach J a bit about trading.
Where Has Squanto Been?
We used this Where Has Squanto Been to learn about where Squanto has lived.
Pilgrim Unit Study