Marine Reptiles (Sea Turtles)
Today we learned about sea turtles with some crafts and a yummy cupcake snack.
Read: Pages 34-35 in Oceans by Johanna Rizzo.
Discuss: Sea turtle are large turtles that spend most of their life in the sea. Most sea turtle species are endangered. Sea turtles are reptiles so they are cold-blooded with scaly skin. They are very strong simmers and good divers too. They have 4 flipper legs and a shell that is attached to their backbone, but they cannot pull their head or legs into their shells. Sea turtles can be 2-6 feet long and weigh from 75 to 1900 pounds. Adult female sea turtles come to the beach to lay eggs. They lay up to 200 soft-shelled eggs in the sand. When the baby turtles hatch they immediately head for the water, but many baby turtles are eaten by predators. Only about 1% off the baby turtles will reach adulthood.
Paper Plate Turtle
Green and Brown Paint
Green Construction Paper
- Paint the back of the paper plate green. (J wanted to add texture by blotting his brush up and down.)
- Trace 4 feet patterns, 1 head pattern and 1 tail pattern to the green paper, and cut out.
- Glue paper pieces to the bottom of the plate.
- Let it dry and then add brown designs for the turtle shell.
- Glue on google eyes and draw a smile.
- Write a fact about a sea turtle on the back of your sea turtle.
Drawing a Sea Turtle
J drew a Sea Turtle on pages 30 from It’s Fun to Draw Sea Creatures by Mark Bergin.
Sea Turtle Cup Cake
- Peachy-O Gummies
- Gumdrop candies (red and green)
- Spearmint Leaves candies
- Mini chocolate chips
- Frost the cupcakes.
- Slice off and discard the bottom half of a red gumdrop.
- Place the top on the center of a Peachy-O Gummie to create a turtle shell. Set the shell on top of the cupcake.
- For fins, slice a Spearmint Leaves candy in half. Then use an oval fondant cutter to cut each half into two pieces, as shown. Use the outer pieces for the front fins and the inner pieces for the hind fins.
- For the head, use a toothpick to poke eye holes in the sides of a green gumdrop. Then press a mini chocolate chip into each hole, using a dab of white icing to help hold it in place. Set the head in place.