Frog Life Cycle
Today we studied the life cycle of frogs with literature, art, and math. J loves science and animals so this was fascinating to him.
- Frogs by Gail Gibbons pgs 1-17
- A Tadpole Grows Up by Pam Zollman
- Learn about the Life Cycle of Frogs
Discuss: A female frog lays the eggs in the water. All frogs start their life in water born from eggs as tadpoles. A tadpole’s body is all one part with no mouth or eyes. On each side of it’s head there are openings like gills that allow the tadpole to breathe underwater. As a tadpole develops into a froglet it get’s eyes and it’s gills begin to change into lungs allowing the tadpole to breathe air at the surface of the water. Then back legs begin to grow before the front legs. Once all four legs has grown the tadpole still has a tail. To get rid of the tail the it stops eating and it’s body absorbs the tail until the tail is gone… Now it is a frog!
- A mother frog lays what? Eggs
- The eggs hatch into what? Tadpoles
- Once all four legs are grown what does the tadpole do to get rid of his tail? Stops eating
- After the tail is gone the tadpole becomes a what? Frog
Life Cycle of a Frog
3-D Frog Life Cycle
Read: A Tadpole Grows Up by Pam Zollman
- Small googly eyes
- Construction paper
- Cut out a frog, froglet, frog legs, and tadpole shape from green construction paper. Add googly eyes where needed.
- Make a pond out of blue construction paper and add a bunch of googly eyes all bunched up together for the frog eggs, and a bunch of googly eyes in a long sting for the toad eggs. Label them.
- Cut circular arrows from red construction paper.
- Glue all the parts of the frog life cycle onto another piece of construction paper. Label each frog.
Life Cycle Frog Box Book
I printed out the Life Cycle Frog Box Book for J to put together.
- Color the pictures.
- Cut out along the outline of the box and cut out the frog on the bottom.
- Glue the frog on the back of the paper in the center.
- Fold in the froglet flap first, then the tadpole with legs, then the tadpole, and last the spawn.
- Review the frog life cycle with the booklet.
I printed out the Frog Writing paper for J to practice writing sentences.
Mr. Frog and a Big Pond Even Numbers
I printed out he Mr. Frog and a Big Pond Even Numbers paper for J to review what even numbers are.
Frog Unit Study