Our story tonight was The Mixed-up Chameleon, which the kids loved. They enjoyed seeing the different animal parts growing on the chameleon throughout the story. We had chameleon cookies, a game, a craft, and story sequencing with this story too.
Read: The Mixed-up Chameleon by Eric Carle
Discuss: Review colors and that everyone is unique.
Song: Do You Have Green Skin?
(sung to tune: “Do Your Ears Hang Low”)
Do you have green skin?
Can you shed the skin you’re in?
Can you change the color, too?
Turn from green to red to blue?
Do you live among the trees?
Blending in with sticks and leaves?
Do you have green skin?
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- food coloring
- In a bowl cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into 9 parts and color one part with each color of the chameleon on the front of the book with food coloring.
- Shape the dough like a chameleon. (I traced the front cover of the book onto wax paper and shaped my cookie dough on the wax paper before transferring it to the cookie sheet.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until lightly browned and let cool.
I printed out The Mixed-up Chameleon Sequencing Cards for the kids to put in order as I read the story to them again. Hide-N-Seek Chameleon
I traced the chameleon on the front cover of the book onto a transparency sheet. The kids took turns hiding the chameleon (laying it on a flat surface to see it camouflage itself). Then the other kids went to look for it. Whoever found it got to hide it next.
See the chameleon on the floor in front of A’s feet.
Tissue Paper Chameleon
- Chameleon Outline
- Tissue Paper Squares
- Googly Eye
- Mix glue with a bit of water.
- Paint glue onto the chameleons face and add green tissue paper squares.
- Then paint glue onto the chameleons front foot and a stripe of body behind the green and add pink tissue paper squares.
- Then add glue to the next foot and stripe of body behind the pink and add red tissue paper squares.
- Continue adding the color that comes next in the story one stripe at a time all the way to the tip of the tail.
- Glue on a googly eye on the head.
Eric Carle Unit Study