Today is our last day of our Dental Care unit study. We did a couple of experiments and learned how to brush and floss properly. Both the boys and I actually learned a lot during this unit study. I will defiantly be brushing after I drink my soda now!
- Brushing Teeth by Mari Schuh
- Flossing Teeth by Mari Schuh
- At the Dentistby Mari Schuh
Discuss: It is important to brush and floss your teeth every day, and visit a dentist once a year for a check up. Show an apple. Say the apple will be the tooth. Poke a hole into an apple and say that is what a cavity is, a hole in your tooth.
- How can we take care of our teeth? Brush, floss, and visit the dentist
Discuss: Soda is bad for your teeth. It can stain them brown. You should brush your teeth after you drink soda.
- Hard boiled egg
- Old toothbrush
- Show the hard boiled egg. Doesn’t it look nice and white like our teeth? Why is there a shell around the egg? Because the shell protects the egg. Our teeth are protected by the enamel just like the egg.
- Put the egg in a cup.
- Pour in the cola.
- Let it set for at least an hour (the longer the better).
- When you take it out notice how dark it looks now. That’s what happens to our teeth if we don’t brush after drinking soda.
- Try to brush away the brown with an old toothbrush. It’s hard to get every bit of the brown, just like it’s hard to get every bit of every tooth in our mouths. We need to brush every part of every tooth every day.
Discuss: It is important to brush all around every tooth, not just the front of the teeth. We discussed the Proper Way to Brush our Teeth from page 2 of this download that I found.
- Soda Bottle
- White Paint
- Old Toothbrush
- Cut off the bottom of the soda bottle.
- Paint it white to look like a molar.
- Show the child how to brush all of the tooth, not just the front where you can see.
Discuss: It is important to floss your teeth to get the food that the toothbrush can’t reach.
- Egg Carton
- Tissue Paper
- Red Construction Paper
- Cut apart each section of the egg carton.
- Cut out a semi-circle from the red paper.
- Glue the egg carton sections around the round part of the red paper for the teeth.
- Stick pieces of tissue paper in between the teeth.
- Use the floss to get out the tissue paper.
Dental Care Unit Study