Today we learned about where Beavers live and how they make their homes. We learned with literature, crafts, writing, and math.
A Beka Book Enjoying God’s World pg. 52-54
Discuss: They live in lakes, ponds, and rivers. They are great swimmers and very helpful animals for us. They build dams that make the soil around the dam good for growing plant. Beavers use their teeth to cut down trees to build the dams and also for building their homes, called lodges. A beavers favorite food is tree bark.
- Where to beavers build their homes? In ponds and streams
- What is a beaver’s home called? A lodge
- What is a beaver’s favorite food? Tree bark
Beaver at Long Pond
- Beaver at Long Pond by William T. George
I used page 3 of Beaver at Long Pond for J to answer the questions after I read the book to him.
Beaver Subtraction Fun
I printed out this Beaver Subtraction Fun paper for J to review his subtraction.
Beaver Dam Snack
Discuss: Beavers use their teeth to cut down trees to build the dams. Dams are made from sticks and mud.
- Peanut Butter
- Pretzel Sticks
- Chocolate Chips
- Plastic Knife
- Small Plate
- Give the child the ingredients and let them try to build a beaver dam.
- Peanut Butter for mud, pretzels for sticks, and chocolate chips for rocks.
- Paper Plate
- Mask Pieces
- Craft Stick
- Brown Paint
- Black Marker
- Paint the plate brown.
- Cut out the pieces and glue them to the plate where you want them.
- Cut out the eyes with scissors.
- Add whiskers with a black marker.
- Glue a craft stick on the bottom of the mask so you can hold it up to your face.
Beaver Unit Study